Outlines and Behind Caster's Trap

So I was rummaging through my inkpad app of my cheap Alcatel phone (12/2013-12/2014), where I found a bunch of old notes and outlines I wrote down for Caster's Trap. Seeing that the game is done and has been doing fairly well, I'd thought I'd share these "behind the scenes features" with whoever's curious. Have fun deciphering it guys :)


This first image are the very first notes I wrote down when I first imagined the game.



Here's more notes I jogged down while on the go. Perhaps I took them  while waiting for my classes to start, at the mall, or in a restaurant. Who knows. All I know is that they came from my phone.



Everything post "Demon wins scenario" should sound familiar. There are times when inspiration just strikes and you gotta use whatever you an to jog it down before it's all gone. Everything past this part should be dialogue or stage directions.





Clearly, a lot of concepts have changed since then. Do you guys think it was for the better? For the worse? To me: I look at these notes and I think of how much potential each story could have had. Why did I change it? Unfortunately, I can't  remember 100%. My memories are as good as peanuts. But knowing me, I make changes for the stronger development of story, gameplay, and efficiency to produce. Perhaps I made the changes because I hit a very hard wall with those ideas? That's the usual case at least. Reading into these, I feel like the one written via docs (first image) had too much freedom. There wasn't a real story. Had too many holes, per say. The one written via inkpad (all with a yellow legal pad styled background) had too much story. It would force the game to be much longer. The dialogue would run and the ending would require too much reveal and explanation for a game meant to be no longer than two hours. Game development isn't easy. It never is. There's many guidelines that must be followed, or otherwise, you'll be consumed in a bottomless pit of your own imagination that would cause the game to become overwhelming, or to become complete crap.

Initially, I posted this as just a fun thing for you guys to look through, but I suppose a lesson can come out of this. If you're getting into a project, make guidelines and reach them. Don't over-achieve, don't under-achieve. To be honest, you'll be rewriting many times, so prepare for that.

Comments